Error on Page 52

Subrat Nanda
Dear Norman and Martin,

Many thanks for writing a great text on usage, theory and applications of Bayesian Networks. I have been reading and using some of these technologies for some time and really find your book very useful with a fresh, simple to digest perspective.

Although am still working my way through the book, I thought that the side note on 'Two Notions of "Outcome"' on Page 52 had some issue (maybe I am not understanding correctly, so please pardon if am wrong here!).

The second bullet reads "The notion outcome is an actual observed value for the experiment. For example, heads." However, as per main text, the actual observed outcome should be referred as an event. So, should the side bar be corrected?

Appreciate if you could help clarify.

Thanks
Subrat Nanda
subratnanda79@gmail.com

Re: Error on Page 52

norman@eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Administrator
Subrat

Thanks for your kind words about the book. There might be some misunderstanding here. The whole point about the sidebar was to explain that the term 'outcome' had different meanings in different texts. SOME people use 'outcome' in the sense of the second bullet point, whereas we use the word 'event' in that case. Possibly we could have made this clearer in the sidebar, but I think it is made clear in the main text whre it refers to the sidebar.

Incidentally I recommend you join the AgenaRisk user group:
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7473890

as we answer questions about the book there.

Norman Fenton