Impossible events - equal probabilities (p. 159)

Impossible events - equal probabilities (p. 159)

Robbie Heremans
(p. 157) … impossible events (see sidebar), such as the combination "Door picked=red" and "Door shown empty=red".
(p. 159 sidebar) … the standard approach (as adopted in Table 6.6) is to assign equal probability to each column entry (hence the assignment of 1/3's in the table"

Question
(p. 158 Table 6.6) Since the combination Door picked=red" and "Door shown empty=red" is impossible, the entries in column "Switch" are set to 1/3, according to the standard approach. But the entries in column "Stick" are 1 0 0. Is this done by purpose? Or can/should the entries under "Stick" also be set to 1/3, consistent with the standard approach?

Re: Impossible events - equal probabilities (p. 159)

norman@eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Administrator
Robbie

Yes, there isindeed an inconsistency here. Although it does not matter what values we assign in the NPT to impossible state combinations, we should have assigned 1/3 to all entries for the "Stick" option. I will add this to the errata.

Norman Fenton